Seeking an Interpreter Career?
- Do you know what it takes?
- Speaking a Second Language is NOT the ONLY skill you need
- Do you have Business Skills?
- Do you have Sales and Marketing Skills?
- Do you have Accounting Skills?
Working as an Interpreter / Translator, is a very rewarding career.
- Love to work and help others?
- Love to travel?
- Love languages?
- Love working at your own pace?
- Love being your own boss?
Then this may be just the career for you!
I have been working as a Professional Spanish Interpreter for over 17 years, as well as an Interpreter Trainer and Entrepreneur. I’m also a previous Interpreting Agency Owner (2000 – 2014), so I know first hand what it takes to get your Interpreting Career going!
Many agencies will tell you to “Get Certified”, Okay, so you get Certified, you take the test and then what? It’s like getting a Degree with no job experience! Now days, many “millenniums”, or anyone for that matter will invest in their career, while working 1-2 jobs vs. working in a field that inspires them, or doing internships in the field that inspires them! By the time they get their degree and they try to apply for jobs – guess what? They are unable to get a job because they don’t have any work related experience!
So, my recommendation to become a Interpreter is to:
- Make sure that you are Fluent in both the English and Target language
- Decide – Do you want to be a Medical, Legal, Conference, or ASL Interpreter
- Learn the; Medical, Legal, General terminology both in English and the Target Language
- Obtain Interpreter Training; Code of Ethics, the Do’s and Don’ts
- Gain Experience by helping friends and families, or even accepting “basic interpreting” assignments. When I mean basic assignments I mean: Follow ups, Doctor basic visits, or even Attorney / Client appointments (only if you are familiar with the Medical / Legal) terminology!
So, PLEASE BEFORE ACCEPTING ANY ASSIGNMENT – make sure you are COMPETENT and QUALIFIED to take on the task! Don’t just do it for the MONEY $$$…
#followme #share #tag
Soon to Come my Step by Step guide on “The Business Guide for Interpreters (TM)”