Family and Depression how it affects you… How many of you suffer from Depression? I know I do and for me, it’s an everyday battle to overcome. Some days I’m happy, cheery and other days I’m lost and feeling alone.
Many people tell me “How can you be depressed, your family is great, your husband does everything for you; he cooks, cleans, works, takes care of you the kids the house and your kids; they are wonderful, they are loving, caring, respectful, and we see them also doing everything you want them to do”…
Well, depression has NOTHING to do with me loving or caring for my family! It has to do with me; with who I am, who I think I’m not, who I wish I was, but everyone knows what I am… Or with the I wish; wish “I could have, should have, but I didn’t do?”.
Depression has to do with; unresolved issues, deep unresolved emotions, self-esteem, life’s struggles, loss of job, loss of a loved one, physical, mental trauma, peer pressure, so many things can cause Depression and affect you and your family.
- When you feel like your lost in your own “world”.
- When you feel like something is missing.
- When you’re just mentally, physically drained.
- When your body hurts all over and nothing you do, is able to take the pain away.
- Feeling the knot in your throat, the pain in your chest and no matter how hard you try, the pain won’t go away.
- When you just want to be left alone and sleep, sleep to never wake up.
- When your feeling sad and you don’t know why.
- When you feel hopeless and worthless.
- When you lost interest in things, you use to love to do.
Depression comes in so many ways, it is a serious depressive disorder and SHOULD NOT be ignored! How many of you have noticed the above symptoms on a loved one? How many of you have families that when you talk about your feelings they’re the response is:
- You’re crazy
- It’s all in your head
- Snap out of it
- You’re just weak
- Get over it
- It will pass
I was one who was judged by my family (Mom, brothers, friends) and had it NOT been for the support of my husband and my kids and my Doctor, who as soon as they noticed the warning signs, they said: “Your pains are not from medical issues, your pains are symptoms of depression, go seek help! So, I did – I went and saw a Counselor, who till this day has helped me with my day-to-day struggles, with the loss of my father (who did of stage 4 Brain Cancer), who has helped me overcome certain barriers.
It’s been 1 year since my “meltdown” and I thank God every day for having the love and support of my husband and kids; otherwise, God only knows what would have happened with me.
If you are like me who has been suffering from Depression – Don’t worry there is help! There is Hope! You can get through this!
- Seek professional help
- Find something you really enjoy doing., i.e, walking, jogging, reading, meditating, listening to music, etc… When you start feeling like your Depression is going to kick in, go and do that one positive thing that you really enjoy doing
- Natural teas; chamomile tea is great to help relax
- Yoga and Meditation – stretching helps get the blood flowing and helps remove some of the tension in your body
Don’t Give Up!
Life is to Short and Beautiful to Give up!
Family and Depression how it affects you and your family…remember your NOT ALONE – There’s Help! Don’t Wait! Don’t Feel Ashamed! Don’t Let this Illness Take Over You! You can Beat It!